A clean kitchen is an integral part of a healthy home. This is where you cook meals, spend time with family and friends, and where you also eat a few of your favourite foods. It’s vital to practice kitchen cleanliness for a healthy, hygienic space. This guide covers some cleaning tips, organization ideas, and more to ensure your kitchen stays as clean as possible.
Kitchen Cleaning Tips And Ideas
Cleanliness in the kitchen should always be a top priority. Here are some tips and ideas to help maintain a clean and safe kitchen for the whole family to enjoy:
- Keep your countertops free of clutter, and always ensure that food and dry goods are stored in airtight, sealed containers.
- Sweep and vacuum your kitchen floors regularly to remove crumbs and debris. Follow by mopping the floors to keep them shiny and clean.
- Wash off chopping boards regularly to ensure there is no food left behind before you put them away.
- Don’t let dirty dishes pile up in your sink. Wash them as you go or place them in the dishwasher after every meal.
- Use a safe disinfectant product to clean small appliances, cooking tools, and other types of kitchen equipment often.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables before eating them and keep them stored in a dry place or the refrigerator to prevent rot.
- Clean your sink garbage disposal regularly using a mixture of baking soda and vinegar to deodorize and unclog it.
- Throw out old food containers, any containers with missing lids, or broken items.
- Wipe off your countertops and chairs using a disinfectant wipe daily.
- Check under your sink and behind appliances to look for leaks. If you notice a leak, get it repaired right away.
Kitchen Organizing Ideas To Help Reduce Your Need To Clean
A tidy, organized kitchen can make cleaning up a breeze. It’s also a great way to help reduce the need for frequent cleaning. Use these tips to help you enjoy a neat, organized kitchen.
- Hang cooking utensils on hooks or place them together in a utensil crock.
- Use silverware trays to keep knives, forks, and spoons separated and in a drawer.
- Place several pot racks and pot lid racks in your cabinets, so it’s easy to find all of your cookware and keep them together and in order.
- Add some decorative trays to your counters to corral small items and keep them in their place to reduce clutter.
- Put dry goods like flour, sugar, and pasta in clear containers with a lid. Label each container for easy access to ingredients for cooking and baking.
- Put baking trays, cookie sheets, and muffin tins in the drawer under your oven to keep them all together and organized.
- Add more storage to your pantry by hanging an organizer on the back of the door for packets of seasoning, dry pasta mixes, and other small items.
- Use a rolling bin to keep cleaning supplies organized under the sink.
Design Ideas To Make Cleaning The Kitchen Easier
Staying organized and practising good cleaning habits will ensure kitchen cleanliness. However, a good kitchen design can help with kitchen organization, making it even easier to keep this space clean and require less effort.
- Consider installing countertops and cabinets with matte or textured surfaces rather than smooth, shiny ones. The texture will help to hide smudges and fingerprints.
- Install custom cabinets with pull-out drawers to help keep cooking utensils, small cookware, and silverware neat, organized, and separated by type.
- Install frameless cabinets and granite or laminate countertops without seams. Too many seams and cracks can trap dirt and crumbs, making the kitchen more difficult to clean.
- Make sure your appliances fit nicely in the space without too much of a gap between the appliance and the wall or floors.
- It’s OK to add décor to your kitchen, but too much clutter can contribute to dirt and dust buildup. Keep things as minimal as possible when it comes to decorative items in the kitchen.
- Keep cleaning supplies like all-purpose cleaning sprays, sponges, and dish detergent together and close at hand for quick cleanups.
- Put the trash bin near your sink, so you can easily throw food scraps and empty containers away. Make sure that the trash can has a lid to prevent pests and spills.
- Choose an undermount sink instead of a deck-mounted sink. This will prevent you from having to clean the crevices around the sink constantly.
- Ensure you have and use a garbage disposal to eliminate excess food waste that can cause your kitchen to stink.
- If your current dishwasher isn’t getting the job done, it’s time to replace it with a new, higher-quality model.
Keep these kitchen cleanliness tips in mind to ensure that your cooking space is hygienic and spotless. Keeping this part of your home clean should be a breeze with the right design and some kitchen organization. Once you develop a great design and a regular cleaning routine, your kitchen will remain a beautiful, spotless space for years to come.